Search for an idea

Allow copy and paste of states

Sometimes I get so caught up in making complex state animations that I actually end up with a completely different screens within the same .screen file. It would be super helpful to be able to extract or copy states out of the screen interactions view into a new .screen file.

I understand that states depend on the scene state before them, but even if this feature would just copy the animations and add whatever 'add' events to the first frame this would be really helpful.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nikkio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Extract flows/create new screen from the explorer is exactly what I need right now. Thanks!

• Scott B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be for the state map that shows all the various states for a given screen. It is similar to the screen navigation map which allows you to Duplicate a screen. I'd like the ability to Duplicate a state or multiple states at once. These would appear as "Disconnected States" and then I would go back and create buttons on the original state to link to them.
        For example, I have condition 1 and condition 2 on my original state for this screen. You can click through a bunch of different versions of this screen (different states), but condition 2 needs each of those different versions to show condition 2's stuff, not the same as condition 1. Currently this means I have to go through and manually create new states, some condition 1 states and some condition 2 states.
        Perhaps there are easier ways to make this work, and I've just gotten myself in a corner by creating a screen with too many states rather than breaking it out into multiple screens. I will think this through some more.

• AdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me see whether I understood this right.

You created a detailed user flow in one screen using states. And now you wish to add more flows to the the same screen, however, each new "flow" you wish to add is not very different from each other, except that some critical UI elements will be changed. Naturally, you don't want to create these flows manually. You wish to copy paste these flows on the IX explorer itself, and go in to make tweaks.

Any reason you would duplicate an existing screen and then make tweaks? It may help reduce potential complexity of the prototype. Looking forward to learn more about your design situation. I am assuming you are already using states pretty heavily coz this really helps in making small changes across states.

You can ping us at Indigo AT infragistics.com for a private conversation.

• Nikkio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super, yeah it would save me a lot of time for the refactor work I'm doing right now. Good to know.

We moved!

Feedback and Knowledge Base