I'd like for Indigo to...

Export/Generate HTML5 (HTML+CSS+JavaScript/jQuery) for Development/Implementation

Would like to be able to jumpstart the development process from the prototype by getting HTML5 type code from it that we can then plug into the app being developed.

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Geoff SchallerGeoff Schaller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also like to be part of the review process. It will be an important piece of productivity and standards management for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great that you've started this. I would love to provide feedback on this. Thanks!

• NDND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would have been nice if you've mentioned that this feature doesn't work in IE. I exported my prototype like 15 times with "Enable Generating HTML Code assets" checked and still not seeing the "Code" button in the player... only to realize I just needed to open it in another browser...

• Indigo Studio TeamAdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Jenni.

If online pattern library is the goal, which can contain snippets of functionality, we may not need to export any HTML. As in, create a searchable/organized repository of UI patterns which are in fact Indigo Prototypes.

We recently introduced a BETA feature as part of update 2 for Indigo Studio (not Lite).
        Let us know how that works.

• Jenni AllenJenni Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could be really useful even if very basic - if the HTML and CSS for a current "state" could be exported, then a series of state exports could usefully be the start of a much more complete handover and would be ideal to kickstart an online styleguide/pattern library. Would be very happy to test/feedback.

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to review and provide feedback on this! It would be great if the Export feature could work with Visual Studio as well, and/or Infragistics controls. To be clear, if I could Export into Xamarin for Android/iOS, Visual Studio 2010 and up, etc. and have a skeleton project created with controls representing elements within my prototype, this will be a great way to jump start my projects.

• Jeron CoolmanJeron Coolman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to export my Indigo Designs to HTML pages with Ignite UI controls. I think being able to export assets/code that can then be used by the programmers to create the software, is the single biggest component that is lacking from Indigo.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be VERY handy - basic extraction of the HTML, CSS and javascipt -- to get a leg up on implementation. Otherwise, developers are starting from scratch, whereas if we had export capability they could start from the exported code as a baseline and tweak as needed

• Krishanu BiswasKrishanu Biswas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would just be great and enough in my opinion to be able to export the design as HTML5, CSS, JavaScript and animation files/code fragments and use/re-use them as required in the app.

• Mike EarleyMike Earley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every application that has tried to implement full-scale export of HTML/CSS ends up with bad HTML/CSS. Dreamweaver, MS's old Homepage app, RapidWeaver, really, anything--you name it, if it generates HTML/CSS automatically, it's not usable.
        This is compounded, as you mention, when you get into an application using a framework like Dojo, Prototype, MooTools, jQuery, whatever--those frameworks have their own structures for how things must work. For example, Dojo's buttons require 2 div containers, and the ability to add images is applied to one of those containers--if it's applied to the other container it doesn't work.
        If you look at CSSHat by the group doing CSSPiffle, I think this is the best implementation, and is also what you are talking about as your recommendation. I.e pick an element and generate it's css/html structure, and let me copy paste that 'widget' of code out and use it.

• Kevin BaumKevin Baum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that being able to export the design as HTML, CSS and possibly some javascript would be ideal. I was hoping that this was more integrated into the other Infragistics products so that there was a smooth transition from design to build. That assets were to some extend usable with development products. Studio is a good product and in many ways better than expensive prototyping products.

• Indigo Studio TeamAdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note: We simplified this idea's title/description.

We don't think it is feasible to generate complete apps due to the disconnect between the requirements of a prototype and the requirements of apps, not the least of which is particular dev preferences for how they structure their apps and code. Each dev has a distinct idea of what constitutes quality production code. Beyond that, we would have to ask a lot of technical details in the prototype to do it well and/or have a dev provide those when generating.

So our proposal is instead to be more targeted about what code you can get from an Indigo prototype, chiefly what are considered "views" (so it would be primarily HTML and CSS for a current state, or element). We can look at what we can do for transitions. At least we can provide timeline details so that there is little guesswork for reproducing them in code.

Feedback and Knowledge Base