I'd like for Indigo to...

support new fonts

It would be great to be able to add new fonts to indigo (custom or system fonts)

94 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Wale SANNIWale SANNI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we should be able to use fonts installed on the system. However, George (Admin) made a valid point concerning licensing issues. On that, I think Ajay's suggestion of implementing a feature where text can be converted into Images (Assets) and vice-versa might just be the way forward.

• Indigo Studio TeamAdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will working on offering some more fonts for example (Source Sans Pro, Roboto, Roboto Condensed). For now it will be font weights 400, 700. We will add more weights and fonts later.

The challenge with licensed fonts like Helvetica Neue is that it's not available to everyone, and we cannot embed these in prototypes shared. We need to do this when someone is viewing the prototypes in a browser/windows pc. With stuff like photoshop, it's not an issue since it's flattened. With HTML-based prototypes, it can get messy. Correct me if you know differently about font licensing.

- George

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to use the HelveticaNeue font family?
        This is a common font used in iOS 7 applications.
        Thanks

• Nicholas McClayNicholas McClay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note, that I would very likely be tempted to include icon fonts if this was supported such as Font-Awesome or ModernPictograms. I don't know if the Indigo team is worried about user's circumventing how icons usually work in Indigo for situations like that.

• Matt MeeksMatt Meeks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better would be integration with Typekit and/or Google Fonts, or the ability to use web fonts via @font-face

• Scott BScott B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the record, I would be fine with a few Infragistics-selected fonts, could be free ones for all I care. Just some additional selection would be nice, but I don't need anything specific. I mock specifics up in Photoshop/Illustrator.

• CharlesCharles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about allowing us to change the fonts somewhere globally? Maybe even almost like CSS. We could say that Titles would be one font or size, body copy another, etc. Could speed things up if a user set this somewhere once.

• AjayAjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a possible workaround to this if the text font is utmost critical and directly implementing all fonts is impossible. Have a tool within indigo which helps convert text using any system installed/browsable font to image(Asset). You could do this with 3rd party apps which is what i am doing now, but then it will be more time consuming. Downside of this being, we will not be able to do any programatic stuff like change text when a button i clicked (Again the previous workaround could be used, have another image-text and transform to that). the flexibility i will be looking is to convert back that image to text, meaning indigo should remember the text.

• HirenHiren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think using system fonts would be the best. If there is compatibility issues in sharing screens with other people who doent have the font then maybe they can be rendered into an image when shared.

Typography is a big part of design in my opinion and its a shame to have to lose it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base