Search for an idea

Let choose external icons

As above: let us choose external icons from disk repository (e.g. hard drive, network, etc.) of such way it releases a bigger wealth at prototyping.

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Indigo Studio TeamAdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, Nicholas! What we need is model that will let a user populate the icon chooser as opposed to Indigo team adding more icons. As we all know, one can never have enough icons to suit every mood :D.

Furthermore, we need them to the vector/svg to be style-able. So yes, it's something we definitely want to do. We are currently researching ways to include icon fonts as we are working on other features.

• Nicholas McClayNicholas McClay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is huge pain point for me at this point. The fact that this feature is still outstanding is a major concern for me about the future of Indigo Studio...

• DayleDayle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My 2c.
        I'm reading 2 issues -
        1. If worried we are using copyrighted icons ? For that matter we can just make them an image and do the same - so that should not be the issue.
        2. If worried that our prototype looks rubbish because our icon making skills are all different ? I think colour / font / image choice would equally be responsible for the rubbish look - so too should not be the issue.

So, besides as you state similar functionality between icon&image, adding icon import for us the user is about workflow and ease of prototype building.

An image when imported into a prototype typically only go's through size changes. Plenty in photoshop or the like but when prototyping that is it. (using indigo image - perfect)

When dealing with icons, they themselves typically get made once but when prototyping you tend to scale and play with colour. (again, indigo icon - perfect)

And so trying to make an icon an image is possible but counter productive to our workflow as changing colour to our icon(image) would take another application and us out of our prototyping environment - for each iteration or colour variance - painful.

As a start requirement which I think would pretty much cover the workflow is:
        1. the ability to import/search local for icon file - you specify format(png)
        This would cover 99% user case. Creating category name I think can be another voting roll.
        2. it is placed in a custom icons category with file name specified on upload
        if you want to add tags - keeps things uniform - but not essential for 99% of the usage
        3. Provide the same functionality - scale/background colour change.
        99.99% sorted. If the user imported a badly made icon .... thats probably not the only issue.

Regards
        Dayle

• Indigo Studio TeamAdminIndigo Studio Team (Product Team, Indigo Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, Noun project is becoming popular, but it's not free. Those that are free, require attribution. In the meantime, we will look into how you as designers can include their icons in a vector format, and modify the colors when using it in prototypes. We will play with the noun project SVG icons to see where it takes us.

• Petr ŠtědrýPetr Štědrý commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my specific case.

I am designing an iPhone app and need custom icons for the Tab Bar. I can find exactly what I want/need on thenounproject.org (in B/W in the style I need), but have a hard time getting them there. You cannot select no icon and you could theoretically add your own image in there, but how? Even if you would lay it over some "minimal" icon, it would still not light up if the tab was selected.

Adding my own icons (maybe even a partnership with / plug-in for thenounproject.org) would be great.

Just my 2 cents.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have self icons set in EPS or AI vector format. Only black and white color. I would like to use them in icon control. When I convert my icon to PNG and use it in image control, I can't change color of imported icon picture as I can do in icon properties control.

• Mathieu BraultMathieu Brault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, we need a way to add custom icons, even if they don't stretch well. Let designers manage way they look at the size they need.

Inside our products we currently use about 600 small icons (16x16) and 200 large icons (256x256).

We currently use Balsamiq Mockups. Having the possibility to have custom icons (icon_name.png in the assets folder) instead of images is a huge advantage for us. The icon picker in Indigo Studio uses quick search, something essential to our work.

Another argument to use custom icons is the tree control. Since all tree items support icons, it is imperative to let designers insert whatever they want. Sure we can use images and hardcode their position inside the tree, but it will make the tree unusable if nodes get collapsed.

I would love to use the power behind the interaction and animation mechanisms. But custom icons is the one feature missing from Indigo Studio to make the UX team at my company switch from Balsamiq.

And while you're at it, supporting icons in dropdown items, listbox items and table cells would also be a huge boost.

Hi, Jan.

When we added icons to Indigo studio, we tried to make sure that all the icons are of the same style/family. As you have noticed, all of them are vector. Furthermore, the groups are facets (not mutually exclusive).

That said, we understand the need to include icon packs you may already own and use it in prototypes. However, not all icon designers make their SVG icons the same way. Which means that fill colors may not give the desired effect.

We want to support importing icons, so everyone interested should continue to vote on this. We'll investigate how we can be make it easier for you to import and use your icons.

• Jan PlehoJan Pleho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this "needs more details"?
        Just add support for any external icons and that's it.
        So we can import and build our own icon base inside Indigo.
        Assign to group (there are 11 currently in indigo) and give it a name for easy search inside "Pick an Icon"

While your set of icons are great, i would like to access my companies icons. Why? 1) we have specific icon styles 2) when I discuss UI mockups with my developers it is always good to use the icon that represents what the user will be seeing or interacting with. Otherwise the conversation turns to conversations about the icon as opposed to the functionality.

Suggestion: have an assets folder or something that Indigo knows about that i can copy my icons into? Then they can show up in a CUSTOM tab in the icons dialog.

• Mohan GulatiMohan Gulati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Images control is not as convenient as having the ability to load another set of icons as suggested here. Also being able to rotate icons would be very useful! I really hope this feature gets added. It allows for rapid prototyping.

• Petr ZapletálekPetr Zapletálek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the author thought function as it is in Balsamiq for example.

I pick up an icon. And I can choose from theirs default icons or I can pick up from global asset. To global asset I can upload my vector icons bundle. Unfortunately they dont have folders here. So I can't put gesture icons and other types of icons without mixing them in one place and searching for them.

If you will do this too and much better, it will be really big improvement.

I really dont want to mix images and icons together so yes it is unsufficient.

Let me see if I understand. The goal is to be able to select multiple image files, then have those show up as icons for that project? I suppose we'd also need to let you supply keywords for each so they match when searching, then have a "My Icons" category we stick all these in or something.

Or you just want to be able to pick image files directly from the icon control?

Ok, i refer when i drag the control "Icons", a dialog appears "Pick a Icon",
        categorized by topics. In this screen is when i refer to let choose another external icons.
        Thanks

We moved!

Feedback and Knowledge Base